Monday 30 June 2014

Last Day Before Camp

 Oh, I'll spend the next few days getting ahead on my FF8 posts, she says. I'll hash out the plot to Herd, she says. I'll be a productive member of society, she says.

 Bah.

 Here I am, the day before Camp NaNoWriMo with my only outline the one I made before I came up with some of the more important elements and twists, eating a chia seed pudding that has lasted for over an hour and still has no end in sight, and kind of procrastinating from doing all the stuff I need to.

 I got up at eight this morning, eight and the only productive things I've done are food related and taking selfies.

 Well, I tell somewhat of a lie. I did oversee the end of us getting our bathroom finished (I'll post some photos on Wednesday).

 But apart from that handful of things, I couldn't name you any of the things I've done today.

 Why am I so useless?!

 Maybe it's because I'm not very good at writing story outlines.

 You'd think I'd be pretty decent at it since I have a rough plot outline for a video game that's over fourteen thousand words (and still not finished). But I'm really not.

 I'm not really a 'by the seat of my pants' kind of writer. I do have plans, elaborate ones even, but they all live in my head.

 As you can imagine, it's not a very efficient system. My memory is kind of patchy, sometimes nigh on flawless, but more often just kind of absent.

 (I finished the pudding, by the way, it took an hour and forty five minutes to eat. It's ridiculously filling. It might be a good snack to stretch out over a full day. The recipe is in this video.)

 I may try the bullet point approach. Write down all the things I think the story needs in order of when I think they need to happen. Kind of like a check list, but not as restrictive. It'll also let me hop around a little more. Usually I like to write in order, but sometimes I get super excited for certain scenes (usually character introductions) and want to write them as soon as possible.

 I'm also going to write my outline (and the Camp NaNoWriMo run itself) in Google Docs. It's more convenient this way because I can use Google Docs on my phone and write no matter where I am, which is handy because it means that I don't have to get my laptop out on the train if I want to write on the way to Derbyshire.

 I'll let you guys know how this plan goes when I show you the bathroom pictures on Wednesday. Right now I better get to outlining and getting a head start on tomorrow's FF8 post.

 Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment