Friday 10 June 2011

dAmn terrible artwork

 I always knew that deviantART was not the most discerning of venues for the budding internet artist, but I just saw an artwork that really drives home how soul destroying it is for me to actually try to advertise this blog and the web comic I plan to do in the future on there.

 I’ll be among the first to admit that my technical ability is not as good as it could be, but I’m at least trying to improve. I use reference. I practice faces and anatomy (mostly of wolves at the moment, but I like wolves so shut up). I’ll work on something until I’m satisfied with it and run it by other people until they’re satisfied by it.

 I seek approval, but, god damn, I want to have earned it.

 So seeing a picture with over 22,000 views and more than 2,000 favourites where the anatomy is so bad that it makes me feel physically weirded out when I look at the hand of one of the characters (his arm apparently has four joints) angers me.

 Do you know what makes it even worse?

 Apparently the person responsible for this nicely coloured but horrendously drawn piece of technical garbage was paid to do it.

 It’s just so unfair.

 You know, I also made the mistake of reading some of the comments, and apparently very few people have noticed that the anatomy is really badly off. Either that or they just don’t care.

 At this point, I can’t decide which one's worse.

I’d like to not have to submit anything onto dA, but it’s a free method of advertising, and I’m not going to turn that down.

 (No, I’m not going to link to the piece in question. I think it has more views than it deserves, so I’m sure as hell not going to help it get more.)

No comments:

Post a Comment