Saturday 7 November 2015

NaNoWriMo Chronicles - Week One

 I'm already behind.

 By about a full day's word count.

 With that out of the way, let's cover what I'm writing this year (largely to avoid this becoming the 'Murphy talks about The Apprentice funtime blog', at least any more than it already has, that is).

 Of course, my focus this year is Herd, because I will finish that novel if it kills me.

 I'm about ten thousand words into the NaNoWriMo attempt, but I do have over thirty thousand with what I already wrote, which is about a third of the way through my word goal for the project. So NaNoWriMo has already been a massive help.

 If I can manage to get fifty thousand by the end of the month, then I'll have knocked off about three quarters of the project, which would be exceedingly useful.

 If I can't, well, I'll have still knocked out a good chunk of the novel.

 Of the chunk I've done so far this month, here's an excerpt.

The next gallery was more things about the founding of, and early history of, Park City, the one after was the portrait gallery dedicated to Jason Park.

The picture Syed’s group had shown us had a large oil copy prominently displayed in the exhibition. The artist had taken a slightly more impressionistic approach (according to the information card), but it was still a good likeness. I liked the slightly dreamy approach.

But as nice as that painting was, it wasn’t the real reason why we were there.

There were a lot of paintings and photos of him as a young man.

He was gorgeous.

Boyish good looks, fluffy black hair and a smile that could melt anyone’s heart.

My favourite portrait was of him in a traditional formal hanbok (Maxwell explained) looking to his side out of a window.

“I look good in a hanbok too, you know,” Maxwell pouted.

“You’re not wearing one right now,” I pointed out, not looking away from the painting.

“You’re tough to please,” he teased back.

“I don’t ask much, just found a city and constantly wear a hanbok.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” he smiled.

We emerged from the museum after an additional half an hour talking discussing Jason Park’s impact on history and stunning good looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment