Monday 25 August 2014

An Unfriendly Star

 I've been having trouble with my sleep pattern lately, and it brought back memories of my childhood.

 I've always been the kind of person who takes a long time to get to sleep, even when I was a little girl. I'd lie awake in bed in the room I shared with my sister(s) for a long time before I finally fell asleep, and that's a long time for an over active imagination to be left with nothing to do.

 Our room was elaborately redecorated to look like the beach one time. It had pale yellow walls and a dark night sky ceiling.

 I could swear it was creeping down the walls at night when the lights were off.

 I wonder... if it freaked the people who moved in after us out as much as it freaked me out.

 They probably redecorated. The cretins.

 Today's poem is about a similar story.

An Unfriendly Star



 When I was a little girl,
 We had a poster in our bedroom,
 To teach us about the solar system.

 And in the deep, dark night,
 When I could not sleep,
 All I could see was the Sun expanding,
 To devour the Earth.

 It was a relief to know,
 When I was older and wiser,
 That the poster was not to scale.

 It was not a relief to know,
 When I was older and wiser still,
 That in a mere billions of years,
 My childish fears would come true.



(The idea of the Earth being gone one day really bothers me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment