Wednesday 16 July 2014

Nine Over Five Writes... My Name is Medea

While I was trying to think of something to write for today's post, I went through some of my old writing projects. This included my NaNoWriMo project from last year, and I was surprised to see how much I actually had of it.

The project currently stands at nearly thirty eight thousand words, which surprised me, because it's been a long time since I looked at this.

I'm also looking at it thinking it may be a good idea to hop between Herd and MNiM, because I'm having a hard time with Herd right now.

Anyway, here's an extract from My Name is Medea. Enjoy.

My Name is Medea


 The one eyed man sat at his desk expecting a phone call containing grave news. If you asked him what the grave news was, he couldn’t tell you. If you asked him how he knew it would be so grave, he wouldn’t tell you.

He stared at a contract that he’d been given just minutes before by his secretary blindly. He couldn’t look like he was expecting this phone call when Frau Junker walked in and told him Lenore had called with some kind of emergency. She was sharp and was already suspicious that he was far more than he seemed.

It was part of the reason she was still working for him, a mind that sharp didn’t work into your life every day of the week.

To say ‘think of the devil’ would be a cruel thing to say about such a devout woman, but she did appear as though summoned.

There was a gentle knock on the door and she walked in like a controlled, yet severe, gale.

“Herr Emmerich, I’m sorry to disturb you, but Frau Allen has called. She insists on speaking with you, she says it relates to Fraulein Eviala.”

The one eyed man nodded.

“Put her through, please.”

Frau Junker nodded and turned to leave but the man called her back briefly.

“Frau Junker, please ensure that I am not disturbed during this phone call.”

She nodded and left the room.

The one eyed man sighed and reached up to his left eye with an idle hand as his other hovered over the receiver. He gently removed his false eye as the phone began to ring.

“Tell me the bad news, Lenore.”

There was a short pause before she spoke.

“We’re looking at a worst case scenario here. Not only has he shown up, he’s actively seeking her out. Someone is orchestrating this.”

The man nodded.

“What precautions have you taken?”

“I’ve warned her to stay away from him.”

The one eyed man placed the eye on the desk and drummed his fingers.

“For the moment, that will have to do. Keep me updated.”

“Of course.”

They said their goodbyes and he hung up the phone before resting his chin on his hands. He glanced at his calendar. It would take time to clear his schedule, and as he replaced his eye he knew that it would take too long and he would be too late.

But there was still one thing he could do.

He picked up the phone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment