Saturday 10 May 2014

The name's Chi. Kim Chi. (see? it's a pun)

 For the last week or so, I've been eating much more healthily than I have done previously.

 I attribute my success to this:

What the gods go to when they grow tired of
nectar and ambrosia
 I have recently become a convert to kimchi. Mat kimchi specifically, but I'm going to buy another kind the next time I head into town to stock up.

 The thing is, the fact that I'll happily eat this stuff is something of a miracle, because I've got a really sensitive mouth when it comes to spicy things. I like spicy food just fine, but it hurts to such an extent that I simply cannot eat most spicy foods.

 In fact, the last time I tried kimchi I couldn't eat it because of the pain.

 But I think that's because I wasn't cooking with it.

 This time I've had far more luck, partly because I've been persevering, and partly because I've been cooking it with other things.

 It's true, the more you eat spicy food, the greater tolerance you have for it.

 So, what have I been enjoying my kimchi in?

 All kinds of things, I've had it with miso soup, cooked it with beans and tofu, used the juice in a lentil soup I threw together and cut it up small to put into an omelette for a filling evening meal.

 If you've never tried kimchi, you really should. It's a great thing to have in the kitchen, especially if you keep around fresh spinach and spring onions.

 Though you really should have those around anyway, they're great to throw into things to get your veggies in.

 (I like to put them in ramen when I'm feeling too lazy to cook, so I'm still getting some of my five a day even if it is in processed food)

 I'll make sure to post recipes for all these tasty kimchi meals when I've collected some good photos, so you can try them too.

 Of course, if you want kimchi recipes from someone who actually knows what they're doing, you should totally check out Maangchi on youtube. She's the one who inspired me to try kimchi in the first place, and so many of her recipes look really tasty.


 See? It looks so good, but the hot pepper paste might make it too much for me.

 So make sure if you see kimchi, you pick it up and give it a go sometime, it'll totally be worth your while.

 Oh! By the way, my new schedule doesn't include Sunday posts, but I'm going to make an exception for tomorrow. Tonight is Eurovision, so I'll be sure to make a post about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment